Adopting your BEST FRIEND!
Adopting a pet is a SERIOUS COMMITMENT: We strongly encourage anyone thinking about adding a furry member to their family to do their research and to be ready for this commitment. Take a moment to read through this helpful Adopting a Pet page. The SPCA of TN will be happy to work with you in finding out what kind of pet is best for you. If you want to have a pet please make sure you can make a 10-20 year commitment to your pet. If you are not sure about adopting at this time, you can consider fostering for us. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us at email@example.com
We will work directly with you providing individualized attention and support in order to help you find the perfect pet(s) for your family. We also suggest you take the time to read through the many resource documents on our website and other sites to prepare yourself for your pet.
You will first be required to complete our application form and agree to our adoption contract. We will require a copy of your driver license and 3 personal references.
In our agreement, we require that every animal be spayed and or neutered (if not prior to adoption) by a specific date. This is VERY important as the overpopulation of dogs and cats in our country is a sad result of too many unplanned litters. If for any reason the match is not as perfect as we all had hoped, the dog or cat must be returned to the SPCA of TN and not given away or turned in to a shelter.
Note: The SPCA of TN requires adopters to be at least 21 years of age. We will require proof of age to finalize any adoption.
The SPCA of TN adoption fees range depending on type of animal, the originating shelter and the vetting the animal has received. Our adoption fees are set to allow us to cover our expenses as well as to help other animals in our program that require additional care. Our fees cover vetting costs, shelter fees, boarding (if needed), behavioral training and additional medical care if the animal require it. By adopting from the SPCA of TN you are not saving just one life, you are helping to save others as well.
In general, you will follow these steps when go to our SPCA of TN website to adopt an animal companion:
- Visit the animals available for adoption to find the one(s) who might be right for you on line to www.spcatn.org
- Fill out an adoption application (see below) that tells us about yourself and your household so we can facilitate the match-making process.
- Talk to a staff member to learn more about your prospective companion and to determine if the pet you are choosing is truly right for you.
- Decide whether or not to adopt.
- Go through the adoption materials with the Adoption Coordinator. You will receive information about your animal’s vaccination history, as well as other information that will help you once you get your new companion home.
- There is a Contract to finalize the adoption process
- A home visit is require to make sure your future companion will be a good fit for you and your family.
Why I love older dogs?